Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member OAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2003
    Posts
    1,435
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

    Do you guys think he should recieve the death penalty or have a life sentence for his crimes?

    SARASOTA, Fla. - A weeping Joseph Smith apologized Tuesday for the abduction, rape and murder of 11-year-old Carlie Brucia two years ago, telling a judge he had taken large amounts of cocaine and heroin that day in hopes of killing himself.

    Smith told Circuit Judge Andrew Owens, who will sentence him to death or life in prison, "I do not ask for mercy for myself. The only thing I can see to give me a life sentence is for my family. I do not want to see them hurt any further."

    Carlie was abducted while walking home from a friend's house in February 2004, an attack that was caught on a car wash surveillance tape and broadcast nationwide.

    Friends and even Smith's brother said they recognized the burly mechanic grabbing the young girl's wrist on the tape as Smith. A jury found the 39-year-old guilty last November and recommended by a 10-2 vote that he be executed.

    Owens will ultimately sentence Smith on March 15. Under Florida law, he must give the jury's death sentence recommendation "great weight."

    Smith told Owens during the second day of the sentencing hearing Tuesday that he had been a heroin addict since he was 19 and had unsuccessfully tried to quit several times. He said his wife had kicked him out of their home in January 2004, he had lost his job and, in the hours before abducting Carlie, he tried to overdose.

    "I just wanted to die that day," he said. But, he said, "I take responsibility of my crimes."

    Defense attorney Adam Tebrugge on Monday cited medical records as early as 1992 showing Smith had been involuntarily admitted to a hospital, and said Smith also had been arrested at least 13 times since 1993, mostly on drug offenses.

    Smith's 15-year-old niece, identified only as KS because of her age, also testified about his character, saying Monday that she enjoyed seeing Smith at family holidays and barbecues and walking dogs together.

    But Carlie's friends and family members talked of the desperation and grief the man had caused.

    Carlie's mother, Susan Schorpen, could not appear because she is jailed on drug charges, but in a letter read by prosecutor Debra Riva, Schorpen said she had institutionalized herself three times, and was trying to self-medicate with drugs to numb the pain of losing her daughter.

    Noel Gilliland, Carlie's former sixth-grade teacher, said two of the girl's friends failed the sixth grade after her slaying.

    "Carlie's future and life have been stolen from her and from her family," her aunt Lori Brucia said on behalf of the girl's grandmother, Andrea Brucia. "We will never know her as a teenager.

    "Our family is forever broken. Our nightmares about what you've done to her "? our hearts will never heal."

  2. #2
    Inactive Member lpd05's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2005
    Posts
    257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

    Who are we to decide life and death?
    Clintwood Greenwave
    Back-to-Back Region D Champions
    2008 LPD Champions

    "State in '08"


  3. #3
    Inactive Member OAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2003
    Posts
    1,435
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

    I didn't say you had to decide...I asked what everyone thought about it. You're right about who are we to judge, but put yourself in the place of the judge. What would you do? WOuld God think wrong of you to sentence a human life to deaath for a crime he committed? I'll let you decide for yourself.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Houndman's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2005
    Posts
    422
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

    Death
    Lives of great men all remind us as their pages o'er we turn, that we're apt to leave behind us letters that we ought to burn.-----Anonymous

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

    [ QUOTE ]
    Who are we to decide life and death?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    I agree but something I hear I wish I was the Judge. Like the guy who shot his infant child in the stomach so it would suffer. I am sorry to say this but I wish I was on the firing squad with an uzi! No make that a shotgun and I would shoot him in the stomach so he could feel what that child went through! They said he looked on the internet to see what would cause the most suffering! I cried when I heard this. Sorry this is off subject but it is strong on my mind! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_OleTob's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    681
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

    The thing that bugs me the most about this creep is this...He is asking for the judge to spare his life for his own kids' sake...I wonder if little Carlie would have loved to seen her DAD,MOM, and Family one more time? So should he get to see his IMO no...He's blming it on drugs which probaly was a huge factor in the matter but does that make it right no...It's a miracle he didn't plead insanity and get away with it.
    Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself.

    I belong to God Now.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_OleTob's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    681
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

    I'd say he'll never make it in prison anyways unless they put him in a speacial part due to him commiting a crime against a child someone will probably take care of him in prison.
    Take em one at a time and everything else will take care of itself.

    I belong to God Now.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

    That is what you got to respect about convicts. No matter what crime they committed they know kids are off limits and they will take care of these wastes of space that hurt kids. If the judge gives in and doesn't give the death penalty then this guy will be under such a watchfull eye by all the bleeding hearts and the media that if anything did happen to him it would just lead to the loss of jobs of many corrections officers and the shutting down of a "corrupt prison", I can see the media allready chomping at the bit to get this going.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Monkeyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2004
    Posts
    1,459
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Carlie Brucia's killer asks for life to be spared

    He should recieve the death penalty.
    crack is whack

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •